Online Cardboard Cut
2 hour live interactive online course
18 November 2021; 20 January or 17 November 2022
£25 or 2 for £40 when booked together
Cost: £25 per live interactive online course, or £40 for 2 x online courses if you book them at the same time - plus exclusive unlimited access to each course video recording for 30 days.
On this online live interactive course via Zoom students will work with the Tutor and learn how to cut and add textures to Card to create a print with varied levels and textures of ink. All printed by hand.
• View demonstration and be introduced to relief card printing and looking at examples
• Introduction to equipment and techniques to cut and peel away leaving the different levels of raised areas, or score the card surface scored, to create textures
• Planning an image and cutting the design
• Mix inks to create colour options
• Learn how to roll out ink and then onto your card plate
• Techniques for how to print by hand
• Cut your plate and use masking and over-printing for additional colours & shapes
Beginner and/or those wishing to refresh their skills and anyone who would like to try an online course.
• Roller (preferably 2 but you will be able to manage with 1)
• Mountboard, preferably R.K. Burt Environmount board. * can be purchased from Great Art or Jackson’s Art however general mountboard will have similar results.
• Mark making tools ie. Etching needle, sharp pointed fork, Pastry/pasta or pattern cutting wheel. Tile scoring wheel. Any kind of perforating tool
• Baren or wooden spoon or large metal spoon
• Caligo safe wash/Cranfield ink (preferably all primary colours but black, white and 1 x colour of your choice is sufficient). You will need to have a lighter colour for your fist layer print. * can be purchased from Great Art or Jackson’s Art
• A smooth, flat and even surface to roll your ink onto: you could use, a plastic tray, a plastic chopping board, you can cover a metal oven tray in kitchen foil and use that, or a laminated sheet taped to the work surface * be aware ink may stain your board
• Paper: lightweight printmaking paper 80120 gsm or a good quality copier paper. You can also use the brown paper that often comes in packages or use paper from a roll of brown packing paper
• Shellac, you can either purchase ready mixed shellac or shellac flakes which must be mixed with Methylated spirit in a glass jar. If you are mixing shellac flakes you would need to do this at least 2 days prior to the online workshop to give the flakes time to dissolve. Once made up you should be able to use is for up to 6 months.
• Paint brush for applying shellac and Methylated spirit to clean your brush * When using Methylated spirit it is advisable to wear gloves, facemask and goggles to protect hands, mouth and eyes!
• Craft knife, scissors and cutting mat
• Water, sponge and washing up liquid for cleaning roller in between colours if using 1 roller
• Vegetable oil
• Pair of gloves to protect your hands from oil & ink when cleaning (marigold type or other)
• A cut up old tshirt or old tea towel or j-cloths for cleaning - that you don’t mind staining with ink!
Maximum 15 places
The above section may require scrolling
For all courses except CPSC Certificate course
Full payment of the course fee is required when booking a place. A reserved place is not secure until full payment has been received.
If for any reason you are unable to attend, we will refund monies paid minus a £15.00 admin fee, as long as you cancel your place more than 1 month before the course start date.
Course transfers are at the discretion of Curwen Print Study Centre. Curwen Print Study Centre reserves the right to cancel courses – a full refund will be made in these circumstances.
For CPSC Certificate course
Payment for Term 1 is required when booking a place. A reserved place is not secure until this payment has been received. Payments for Terms 2 & 3 will be due at the end of the previous term. The receipt of your Term 1 payment is acceptance of commitment to all 3 Terms of the Certificate course.
If for any reason prior to the commencement of the course you are unable to attend, we will refund monies paid minus a £15.00 admin fee, as long as you cancel your place more than 1 month before the course start date. Once you start the course on Term 1 you have committed to all 3 terms. Course transfers are at the discretion of Curwen Print Study Centre.
Curwen Print Study Centre reserves the right to cancel courses – a full refund will be made in these circumstances.